This salad combines the flavours of a traditional Japanese noodle dressing with the smokiness of charred corn and BBQ tofu to make a nourishing and sustaining dish that is good for lunch or as a side dish to your dinner. Soba noodles are traditionally made from 100% buckwheat flour (Soba means 'buckwheat' in Japanese) making them wheat and gluten free however you will find some variations which include wheat in combination with buckwheat flour.
Soba noodles are particularly nice as they are light on meaning you won't feel bogged down after you've eaten them. There is nothing worse than having a bowl of pasta for lunch and feeling the need for a nap an hour later because your digestion is working over time. Although they are a Japanese food, they work perfectly with all flavours so do not hesitate if you want to add them to your pasta sauce rather than traditional spaghetti. They only take 4 minutes to cook and can be reheated in the microwave if necessary.
Nutritionally, 100% buckwheat soba noodles are high in bioflavonoids including quercetin and rutin. These two phytochemicals are used therapeutically to treat hay fever throughout Spring and are known for their anti-inflammatory abilities. The noodles also contain all 8 essential amino acids including lysine, an important amino acid for those who suffer from cold sores.
This salad can be enjoyed warm or cool and is very quick to prepare. It can be left in the fridge for up to 3 days.
1 packet soba noodles
1 sweet corn, de-kernled
1/2 cup peanuts
250 grams BBQ marinated tofu
1 cup white cabbage, shredded
1/2 cup tamari
1 tspn sesame oil
1 tspn olive oil
2 tsbp rice wine vinegar
1 tspn red pepper flakes
- Cook the noodles as per the instructions (usually around 4 minutes in rapid boiling water) and rinse well in a colander. Place in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- Heat a pan to medium heat and toast the corn and peanuts until the begin to colour. Remove from the pan once charred and place the tofu on to fry.
- While the tofu is cooking (around 3 minutes on each side), crush up the peanuts into small pieces. Place the peanuts, corn and shredded cabbage into the mixing bowl with the noodles.
- emove the tofu from the heat and slice into long chunks and set aside (to go on top of the salad) or into cubes and place into the mixing bowl with the other ingredients (to be mixed into the salad). You can choose how you like it or do a bit of both.
- To mix the dressing, combine the tamari, sesame oil, olive oil, rice wine vinegar and chilli flakes into small bowl and whisk until combined. Pour the dressing over the bowl of ingredients and toss well.
- Serve into individual bowls or onto a salad dish for everyone to share. Best enjoyed with chopsticks!
- sprinkle the salad with black sesame seeds
- you can cook the corn on the cob over the direct flame of your stovetop and de-kernel after cooking to get that nice, charred look
- you can marinate your own tofu if you do not want to buy a pre-marinated one
Did you make this recipe? if you did, remember to upload a picture and #naturomedico