Light and nutritious lunch recipes are always good to have on hand especially when you are after a bit of a health boost or wanting to get into the habit of making your own lunch for the work week. These spicy and flavoursome summer rolls are the perfect make ahead snack that has everything you need in them to keep you feeling satisfied throughout the rest of the day.
Rice paper rolls are traditionally made from white rice paper sheets however, recently with the health craze in full swing there have been other options appearing on the shelf including brown rice paper sheets. If you can get your hands on some brown rice ones, I suggest you use these over the traditional white version as they are more nutritious and have a lower glycemic index. When you are considering lunch, you should always consider the way it is going to impact your energy and your blood sugar. If you are one to slump at 3pm, you might need to consider upping the protein and fat content of your lunch meals and reduce carbohydrates such as bread, pasta, white rice or potato. Keeping your blood sugar in check is important to avoid a number of health concerns including the basics such as:
- hypoglycaemia - low blood sugar leading to feelings of dizziness, shakiness, fatigue, sweating, irritability, headache
- hyperglycaemia - high blood sugar leading to extreme thirst, excessive urination, dry skin and irritability
- blood vessel damage to the heart, lungs, kidneys, eyes and nerves
It is not limited to just these issues however and women are particularly prone to the impacts of blood sugar dysregulation (hormonal health is a huge concern, particularly for women who have PCOS). Over a long period of time, uncontrolled blood sugar can lead to severe damage even though you might feel okay. That is why it is important to consider it at
These rolls are high in protein and low on sugar plus the addition of organic crunchy peanut butter gives these rolls a hit of fat to slow down the break down of food in the body and help with blood sugar level maintenance. The raw vegetables provide high amounts of nutrients and antioxidants as well as fibre to keep the digestive tract ticking and to further assist in slowing down food break down and absorption. Staying fuller for longer on the most nutritious food possible is the goal and these rolls meet that.
makes 8 rolls
1. Turn your oven on to 180 degrees and line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. To prepare the pumpkin, mix your spices together and gently coat each slice with the spice mix and coconut oil. Place the slices on the baking tray, sprinkle the sesame seeds over the top and then bake for around 15 minutes or until the pumpkin is golden and cooked through.
3. While your pumpkin is cooking, mix up the peanut sauce by adding the peanut butter, olive oil, tamari and water and mixing quickly to form a paste.
4. Once the pumpkin is ready, remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly. Then, line all your ingredients up on a board ready for your rolls to be assembled.
5. To make the rolls, read the directions on the back of your rice paper sheets as to how to soften the sheets and correctly roll them. Start by layering the pumpkin, tofu and peanut sauce onto the base then add the other chopped vegetables as you wish. Wrap everything up into a roll, set the completed roll and continue until everything is all wrapped up.
6. Enjoy immediately or store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
500g pumpkin cut into large, thin slices
1 tspn cumin
1 tspn coriander
1/2 tspn cayenne pepper
1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
1 tspn sesame seeds
150g smoked tofu, thinly sliced*
a handful of coriander stems and leaves
1 cup red cabbage, thinly sliced
1 carrot, julienned
1 avocado, sliced
1 spring onion, sliced
1 cup lettuce of choice, thinly sliced
2 heaped tspn organic crunchy peanut butter
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tspn tamari
water to thin
8 large rice paper sheets
- * if you are unable to find smoked tofu then opt for another naturally flavoured tofu or quickly cook up some plain tofu seasoned with salt and pepper
- You can adjust the ingredients you like for the inside of the rolls as per your personal preference.